Doesn’t matter what you are going to do and how to get a job you are looking for this year, without a professional resume 2019 – you have much less chances to get employed! At the same time, you need to remember about a competition and how to win! That’s why, you need to know how to be invited to an interview, because only a good resume could help you to do that.
All the hiring managers often are looking for the same things, while scanning or reading a resume. We tried to include the most important details to our guide to make your life easier. Below, you will get some resume templates, which would help you to understand the right direction on how a good resume looks like in 2019.
Main parts of the best resume
What you will learn reading our resume 2019 Guide
- What is good resume and how to make it professional.
- The main differences between CV and resume.
- How to pick a resume format and what are KEY differences between them.
- Resume content. What to include and what is better to exclude.
- Some useful Resume Tips to write an outstanding resume.
Resume 2019 – Main Steps to write it good
- Don’t try to invent something new. Get new resume examples, which were already created by a professional resume writers.
- Outstanding resume templates. It’s really important to stand out from a crowd. You need to make your resume easy to remember.
- Contact information should be at the top of your resume. Don’t irritate hiring managers, trying to search your phone number across the whole document.
- Outstanding cover letter. It’s not a secret, that sometimes it could make more strong effect on HR’s decisions.
- Optimize your resume to an ATS. Target a CV to the desired position using specific keywords. They can be in a job ad, read it carefully.
- Achievements-based approach. Results are more valuable for hiring managers, than some information in CV.
- Right formatting, Fonts and colors should be chosen the right way. Easy to read – this is what you need to do with your resume.
- Don’t do the same mistakes as other candidates do. Proofread your resume, before you’re going to send it to a hiring manager.
You could see the main part of a good resume above. Now, we’re going to tell a bit more about each part of resume and lighten other dark&white sides of resume writing.
Resume Or CV – What is the difference?
Resume – A brief summary of personal, educational, professional experiences used by applicants to get a new job.
CV – A Curriculum Vitae (CV) is a detailed summary of professional and educational histories. In other words, it’s more extended resume with more details inside.
Resume vs CV: What is the difference
When it comes to a resume writing, a lot of different job seekers face the same question – to write a resume OR to write a curriculum vitae. Funny to realize, that not all the candidates could even mane you the main differences between these two definitions.
Don’t listen to those hiring managers or people, who are going to tell you, that CV and Resume are almost the same things. They are different in their structure, length and amount of details, which are included into a document. A resume template is more concise and includes less details compared to a CV. It does not require such information like education section, achievements and experience. CV is much more detailed version of a resume.
Below, we tried to show you some resume and CV examples. It’s not a rule to recognize each format, it’s more like to understand the main differences in document structures.
Resume Format – Which one to use
Different Resume Format Templates
There are many different resume formats, where each of us could use in different situations. Still, there are three main resume formats widely used nowadays: chronological, functional and combination. Each of them has it’s own strengths and weaknesses. Now, we’re going to tell you some words about each of them above.
Most Common Resume Formats
- Chronological resume format – the one of the most used resume template in US. Tons of different job seekers widely using this type of resume format, don’t even expecting that they are using chronological resume. It’s the best option for those candidates, who has a solid background and level of expertise. Good solution for experienced personalities.
- Functional resume format – not the best option for experienced candidates, but outstanding for those candidates, whose skills is their main asset. Using this type of resume, you are concentration all HR’s attention on your skills.
- Combination resume format –as you have already understood, this resume format is kind of mixed functional and chronological resumes.
Resume Layout 2019 – Important Details
Each resume is somehow like a marketing document. You are trying to sell your candidacy to other people, who are ready to pay for your skills. Due to these reasons, it’s really important to impress your reader. Impress – to provide a clear and easy to read resume. When we’re talking about “easiness” and “attractiveness”- it’s about resume layout.
Below, we decided to keep the most important things together, which will be important to resume owners in terms of layout.
Resume Layout Attributes
1. One page resume. Don’t try to make it as long as possible. Keep it concise and easy to read.
2. Formatting attributes (bullet points, headings and colored sections)
3. Resume font (don’t try to use something, which will be not possible to read)
4. White spaces are too huge. Avoid them, while you will format your document.
Content of Resume – What to include
Each resume is a structured document, which includes different sections or blocks. Each resume section has its own place, depends on format of resume you decided to chose. Below, we’re going to share with you the most common resume sections, which are better to include to your document.
What resume sections should be included:
- Contact information (high priority)
- Summary block. (optional. Depends on position)
- Job Title (high priority)
- Work Experience (high priority)
- Skills section (middle priority. Depends on resume format)
- Accomplishments (high priority. Depends on resume format)
- Hobbies (low priority)
- Awards (low priority)
- References (exclude from resume)
This is the list of the most common section in your CV. Also, this list could vary based on resume template and format you will use.
Resume Summary vs. Objective
There are some resume trends, which could help you to keep your resume updated and follow the latest resume writing approaches. According to the current situation, you need to remember that resume objective is not so popular nowadays.
Why a resume summary more effective?
Resume summary. It’s like a small snapshot of skills and experience you have, where you need to include a couple of sentences with a key information. Summary is much more effective way to show information about your candidacy. You will add the most relevant and important information into one place, where an experienced hiring manager could easily understand who you are.
Contact information – What should be there
There are no strict rules on what should you include to your contact information section, BUT we would like to help you avoid the most common mistakes other job seekers did. So, have a look on already prepared TO DO an TO AVOID blocks.
Include your First Name, Last Name, email address and city you are currently live in.
Social Profiles. Include them to your resume. LinkedIn or Twitter profile could be really useful for some hiring managers.
Avoid using corporate email address or unprofessional email address
Include age, sex, marital status or any other gender relative info
Experience section – how to list and what to include
Experience section is one of the most important blocks in your resume. Almost all hiring managers are scanning this information briefly, while doing a resume scanning process. You need to pay enough attention here. The best way to tell about your experience is to place it into small sentences using bullet points.
Strength your experience using achievements. It’s the best solutions to enhance your chances to get the job convincing hiring manager, that you are the right one candidate. Overwriting your experience, don’t try to include everything. Only the most important to reader’s information.
HOW TO – BOOST YOU JOB SEARCH CHANCES
ONE RESUME – ONE POSITION! Stop doing the same mistake again and again. You need to tailor your resumes for different positions you are looking for. Doing that, you are simply increasing your chances to get the desired position. Creating more relevant for hiring manager resume – you provide more value for them. In result, they will see a more targeted resume, which is more interesting for them, even you are not the best candidate. Target your resume and you will see what effect it could bring to you.
BE CONCISE. You don’t have a lot of space when it comes to a resume writing. There is no much space to include almost everything. You have one-page resume and you need rigorously follow one rule. What is the rule? Include only the most valuable information for hiring managers. If you don’t know, whether the information is important – that means, that you’d better to exclude it from your resume.
SHOW RESULTS INSTEAD PROCESSES. Hiring managers are not always can be those people, who could 100% understand how good you are in a specific area. It’s not bad thing to help them understand your value. How to do that? It’s simple – show them measurable and easy to understand proven results. Below, we tried to share some good samples on how achievements can be presented in your resume.
Below you would find some good samples:
- Defined and improved some KPI’s on XX%
- Efficiently managed X people, who brought Y results
- Reached Z goals when run Y activities
And so on. The main goal here is to help recruiter to understand not what you did, but what goals you have reached.
The Last MILE. Check everything before SUBMIT
- Passive tense – Past Position. Present – for Current. Remember to use this rule, when you are proofreading your resume. Proofread it once again and check if everything is correct.
- Keywords. Remember to check if you have used any keywords in your resume. It’s important to do, because you need to optimize a resume for an ATS systems. If you will do that, you would have much more chances.
- Slang. Some companies are using their specific slang for more easy communication between each other. Do you have that in your resume? If yes, you need to rephrase such words into more clear definitions or words.
- Do not personalize everything. Personal pronouns are very tricky. Avoid using I, me, my and so on. You are not the only one it that company, who achieved all results.
- Easy to read. Ask other people to do a recruiters test. Let other people to scan your resume for 6 seconds. After such an interesting activity, they need to tell you job title, personal data and what was the last position you obtained.
- How you named the file. Create an easy to understand and remember name of the file. Do not use some weird names. The best you could do it – First + Last Name.
- Could your friend or colleague proofread. We already knew, that resume is too personal thing. Still, writing or crafting it during a long time could be hard. You can simply lose some important details. So, it’s a good idea to ask somebody to proofread your CV.